in a sea of people
Home Saturday Snapshots Twitter Instagram Bloglovin' Pinterest Follow

profile
anya|18|ba behavioral sciences|UP-Manila

The thoughts that run in this head aren't always easy to comprehend.

“In search of something immortal in mortality."

etcetera
Instagram
Links
Disclaimer
All images posted on this blog are mine, unless otherwise stated.

Layout by mymostloved
with script and background
Unite
Tuesday, June 19, 2012

When was the last time you tried something for the first time, just to learn and appreciate it?

JZone (or Jesus zone) is a High School and College focused Christian movement, aiming to change lives and encourage people to step up and make a difference, with Jesus Christ being their number one priority.

Now, to be very clear, I am not a strictly or deeply religious person. I am raised and still am Catholic, but I do have my own personal opinions, interpretations and perspectives that do not jive well with some Catholic and Christian beliefs. Don't get me wrong please, I believe in God, and still thank Him and pray. I keep up with Catholic traditions and whatnot, though not as religiously. Yes, I do respect these religions--don't think otherwise. It's just that I have been contemplating about a lot about these things lately and for now I am just staying open. :)

So after all that, you might wonder why I would attend a JZone activity. Personally, I wanted to experience it firsthand. I have friends, classmates and schoolmates who would attend and always mention it. I never understood it fully, and what they experience. So I thought to myself, what have I got to lose if I attend at least one JZone event? I'll see it firsthand, I'll understand their perspective, and perhaps I'll learn from it. 

I finally got the chance to attend last Saturday, June 9. They have a different theme every so often, and their theme for this particular one was a Pep Rally, in line with school starting.
the stage set-up for the night
My HS classmate, Bea, who is a Jzone regular, and is very serious and passionate about it


There were opening dances and cheering presentations, and right after a concert. If you've ever seen a Christian concert, you get what I mean.







After all the singing, a former schoolmate of mine stepped on the stage and gave a testimony about how JZone helped him change for the better. 

Then, the Youth coordinator Kuya Dan, had a short presentation.
After the event, Kuya Dan approached us and my friend introduced me to him. I must say, he's a really nice guy. :)



The main point of the presentation was to clear up why we were there. "We are all here for a reason." Kuya Dan said, several times in fact. It isn't a coincidence, he said. He encouraged everybody to "Step Up" in our campuses, and among our groups. 

After the presentation, there was one last round of praying and singing. In all honesty, I felt a bit out of place, simply because everyone else seemed to be so deeply passionate about their cause and faith in a way I never personally felt. I almost felt like an intruder upon their place of worship, even though they welcome everyone with open arms. But, as the night ended, I was happy and appreciative.

At the end of the day, I can say that I at least have a bit of a better understanding of what they are about, and just how serious they are. I understand a bit of their perspective and what it's like for them. I am grateful I decided to drop by and see for myself. I can't say it has drastically changed me or my religious stand as of now, all I know is I appreciated it all. I'm glad to have learned a bit more. :)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

All rights reserved A Box Of Nostalgia by Anya Cruz
◀ RECENT ENTRIES | HOME | OLDER ENTRIES ▶